Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Job and God Meet



Job and God Meet

Quiet Time

February 25, 2015

Job 38-42

  Prayer is listening as much as it is talking. In chapters 38-41 we see the LORD addressing Job directly. As an aside, this name for God has not been used since chapters 1 and 2 (Wiersbe, Transformation Study Bible).  We know that this name speaks of Self-Existence and Covenant relationship. It is on this basis that Job is addressed by the LORD. Wiersbe summarizes His challenge to Job in the following statements:
1.       “Can you explain my creation? (38:1-38)
2.       Can you  oversee my creation (38:39-39:30)
3.       Can you subdue my creation? (40:6-41:39)”  (TSB, p. 865)

Job would respond twice, once in chapter 40 and ultimately in chapter 42.  The first time he essentially said that he would be quiet lest he speak inappropriately.  You see the LORD had revealed by his words His power and majesty to a man who said he knew Him.  I don’t think there is any rebuke intended for his honest statements of struggle.  The LORD is addressing the fact that Job really doesn’t know Him on the level that He desires. 

At the conclusion of the third speech, Job fell on his face and repented. He said:
1.       I know You can do all things  (anything)
2.       No one can thwart Your plans.
3.       I have pontificated on things and in areas where I had no knowledge.
4.       I have heard You before but now I have seen You
5.       All I can do is repent of my sin of pride.  (Job 42:1-6, ESV-para and TSB-para). 

 I think that Job had moved from knowledge of God to the knowledge of God by experience.  Such a thing frequently occurs in the crucible of suffering.  God referred to Job as “my servant” in the opening chapters of the book. Now once again we see that designation in 42:7. Wiersbe notes that Job had served by enduring suffering and negating the challenge of Satan that set the book in motion (Remember that challenge was that Job only served God to obtain the blessings that rested on his life) (Wiersbe, TSB). 

Job’s final prayer of the book is for his three friends at the direction of the LORD. They had presumed to understand both Job and God but had sadly failed.  At the command of the LORD, Job offered a sacrifice for them, prayed for them and they were forgiven. 

The end of the story is restoration – The LORD restored double to Job what he had lost.  It might be noteworthy to mention that Job only had 10 more children – some commentators take this as an indication that they were safe in Heaven.
We learn much of God in this book – but I think one of the key concepts is that God is faithful even in senseless and unexplained suffering. My response is to bow the knee and trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment