Monday, February 23, 2015

Job Bares His Soul to God




Quiet Time
February 23, 2015
Job 10
   Job addresses the words of this chapter directly to God. He shares the deepest feelings of pain at the seemingly senseless suffering he is enduring. One wonders if his words are not impacted by the advice of his so-called comforters.  In 9:33, Job asks for an umpire (KJV-daysman). In 10:7 he asks for  deliverer.  He lays out in various analogies how he perceives God is treating him.   I know that God respects honesty –He knows what’s in our heart; however I don’t think Job has reached the point of trust in and submission to God.  He is pretty wrapped up in his own righteousness.  He would eventually get there.
Many years later another man would sit in a Roman prison, guilty of nothing other than preaching the gospel. In one of his letters  written in prison, Paul would scribe the following words,

“Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—“ (Philippians 3:8-9). Nothing mattered to Paul except knowing Christ.  Job would have his own encounter with God in succeeding chapters, but it would take time. Thank God He is patient and grows us in that knowledge and a deeper walk with Him.

About God: He is sovereign but seeks a relation with us.  He listens to our complaints, but seeks to bring us in conformity to His word.

About me:  I should be honest with God in my prayers but submit to him in trust.




No comments:

Post a Comment