Tuesday, July 31, 2012


July 31, 2012

I braced myself for the day. I knew that it would be difficult. It was my mother’s birthday.  As I was writing these words, I happened to remember I needed to make a call … It was also the birthday of her sister, who was born six years before she was.  There was another sibling born twelve years before my mother.  She predeceased her. There was actually an article in the Winston-Salem Journal on my mother’s fourth birthday featuring all three girls in a story since to have siblings born exactly six years apart is somewhat unusual. My aunt was married to a UMC pastor until his death. She was also a reading teacher in title one schools – an impressive lady.    She has had her own health challenges in the past couple of years … it made her happy for me to call her on her birthday (she told me three times).  I was glad I made the call.   Sometimes the voice of God breaks through our grief and tells us to live beyond ourselves … it pays to heed that voice.

                                                Jesus broke through when grief held me in darkness;

                                               His love beaming forth bid me come to the light.

                                               My chains of defeat fell unfettered around me,

                                               I walk now in truth; what my God does is right.



                               

       

                                                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment