Wednesday, July 25, 2012


My Protector

 
I’ve been reading through the Psalms of Ascents in my quiet time, using Beth Moore’s Stepping Up and Eugene Petersen’s A Long Obedience in the Same Direction.  These psalms were designed to be sung as the Jewish people scaled the temple mount for their various feast days. I’ve read Psalm 121 many times. Each time I’ve heard it read, it has been in the context of claiming physical protection.  I believe that it was certainly appropriate, for the road to Jerusalem and the temple was ripe with danger. They needed the Lord’s protection.   In my more recent readings, however, I have focused on spiritual protection as I prayed through the psalm.  When I look at the hills I think of the manificent Andes Mountains, but as great as they as they are, they are no value when I really  need help.  My only true help is from the God who made them.  Lord you  kept me from falling tonight when that kid almost knocked me over, but I think allowing  my foot to slip is also a really cool metaphor – that you  won’t let me fall so hard spiritually  that I’ll be separated from You forever , i.e. that I’ll lose my salvation.  With protection like that, what more can I ask?






No comments:

Post a Comment