Thursday, July 19, 2012


                                                                                          Healing Hearts

I had the privilege of being reared as an only child. I am well aware that certain epithets are associated with the only child …”spoiled …lonely … difficult…”  Some of them may be deserved, but in my case there was a strong bond that formed between my parents and me.  From early childhood, I wanted to please them more than anything.  Because, my parents were godly people, sometimes it was really hard to tell just who I was trying to please; it just all blended together.  Now, I wonder, did it really matter; when children please their godly parents, they are pleasing God.  I said good bye to my mother eleven years ago as I trusted her to the loving arms of Jesus.  It was hard; I wasn’t ready, and I think I went into academic denial. I emerged with an advanced degree, but then I began to watch my daddy’s health decline.  At first he made a miraculous comeback, but then suddenly be he was beset with an onslaught of problems.  I had kept with my mother’s issues via the internet, but with Daddy, we bounced from doctor to doctor and they seemed to speak in such covert terms, that I could understand nothing.  Then the last week in April2012, things fell apart.  He fell in the middle of the night.  Two days later he was hospitalized and never returned home.  It was a shock and a blow.  I didn’t lose my parents suddenly in an accident, to heart attacks, or by some tragic means, but death somehow snuck up on us or did it?  I had asked of the Lord … to please let them “get home before dark.”   God who heard and honored the desire of his servants’ hearts (Psalm 20:4) For you see each of my parents had possessed that longing to be cut loose from their suffering.  The same God who honored their prayers will certainly heal my hurting heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment