Sunday, August 5, 2012


August 5, 2012

Today was a hard day. I can’t explain why.  It just was. I woke up wanting to cry and it went downhill from there. God graciously gave control where it was needed.   I’ve had a good weekend overall.  I don’t understand the sadness.  This evening Pastor Wilburn spoke from Psalm 73. There was a quote from Spurgeon, that in essence said, “God permits sometimes permits  difficult things in our lives not so much to burn out the dross, but to burn in the promises.” That resonated with me … I know I’m not perfect, but in these days of loss, I faced so much guilt … that promises have become foreign. I pray that in these hours promises can be burned into my heart and mind.  Whenever I’ve faced trials in the past, it never occurred to me that God was trying to burn his promises into this chronic worrier.  Pastor went onto quote George Matheson , a blind preacher of Scotland, giving another take on pain and loss,

"My God, I have never thanked Thee for my thorn. I have thanked Thee a thousand times for my roses, but not once for my thorn. I have been looking forward to a world where I shall get compensation for my cross; but I have never thought of my cross as itself a present glory. Teach me the glory of my cross; teach me the value of my thorn. Show me that I have climbed to Thee by the path of pain. Show me that my tears have made my rainbows."Amen. (Wilburn, Salem Baptist, 8/5/2012)

God meets us at when we need Him … when we seek Him …He is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment