Wednesday, May 27, 2020



Seeking God Amidst Covid-19 … Part 1

At the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak and the “Stay at home” mandate, I made a practice of reading Psalm 91 each day in a variety of translations and paraphrases. . There were days that I prayed this Psalm;  there were days when I would loosely quote  it with the help of  my Scripture memory app. I still turn to it to remind myself that God is the source of my protection. I also follow the suggestions of the health community as best I understand and am able to do so.
In recent days, I have found myself meditating on the names of God, because they are rich with assurance and comfort.  Today, I’ll share several with you that have special meaning to me.

Adonai-Jehovah is defined by some as “The Lord our Sovereign.” Too often we shy away from    thinking about the Sovereignty of God. To many people it speaks of control or being at the          whim of a capricious ruler.  However, our God is not capricious; he remains unchanging as do His  promises. Sovereign also denotes kingship or one who rules. God rules in the lives of His people, and God rules in the events that touch their lives. We are living in times that engender  fear and uncertainty, often fueled by the media, popular opinions, conspiracy theories, and our own tendencies to cave under uncertainty.  In the midst of the COVID-19 situation, others have faced situations that are only compounded by this unprecedented crisis. Yet, we are in the hands of Adonai-Jehovah, who sees and superintends the  events raging around us. One day, he will say –“This far, but no farther.”  Until then, he bids us trust His heart, knowing that it ever guides His hand.

 El-Roi is defined as the “God who sees.” Nothing escapes Him.  When I was a child, I learned and sang the song, “Oh be careful little eyes what you see … For the Father up above is looking down in love…” We went on to sing about our ears, our tongue, our hands, and our feet as the conclusion of the song reminded me that God was watching. To be honest, the song really creeped me out. I imagined God as a celestial spy waiting for me to mess up so that He could squash me.  I totally missed the  concept that He was watching me “in love.”  God still watches us in love. Yes, he is weighing our actions, words, and attitudes, but more importantly, He is watching with eyes of care. We need not worry, because God is patrolling the events that touch our lives; He is our garrison from harm. Somethings may hurt us temporarily, but for those who belong to Him through faith in Jesus, nothing can eternally harm them. The God who sees, will measure carefully the events, good and bad that touch the lives of His children.  They are never beyond the scope of His watchful care.

Jehovah-Mekaddishkem  is defined in Exodus 31:13 as “the LORD who sanctifies.” The idea conveyed by the word  “sanctify” is that of being set apart for use by God. It is also tied to concept of being made more like Jesus. Note that it is His work, and not ours. The  immediate context of this name is the instruction of God related to Sabbaths – a time when the Israelites ceased from their work and rested in God’s presence.  These current circumstances of isolation may well be an instrument that God is using to teach us to rest and to allow Him to work in our lives.  This sanctifying work of God may lead us through deep waters, through circumstances that are less than desirable, through circumstances that are painful, and through circumstances that may provoke fear. Yet, in all of these vicissitudes of life, He is working to make the positional righteousness that is ours through Christ more evident to a watching world. The promise of Romans 8:28 is expounded upon in Romans 8:29 – the good through which God is working in our lives is that of being conformed to the image of His Son, Jesus. Is there any greater good in which we can put our hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment