Saturday, April 25, 2020

Quarantine Quiet Time -- Ebenezer Moments





Quarantine Quiet Time: Ebenezer Moments 

Psalm 121

The Psalmist begins by saying. “I will lift up my eyes unto the hills…”  He was far from Jerusalem; he could see the hills, but he wasn’t there yet.  He was distanced from the house of worship, but he wasn’t distanced from his God – the true source of his help.

We note that he did not stop as he gazed at the hills, although he longed to see his beloved Jerusalem. Instead, his gaze and his heart were fixed on Yahweh – the covenant keeping God – the God who always keeps His promises.  His promises are legion – “I will never leave you …” (Hebrews 13:5)  “My peace I give you…” (John 14:27) “I will strengthen you…”  (Isaiah 41:10) “I will hold you with my righteous right hand…” (Isaiah 41:10) 
It is true that the temple of God  was a source of delight and belonging, but nothing could match the splendor of the God of the temple.  It is on Him that our gaze should be fixed.

The word help is “nezar” … think Ebenezer. This may be an allusion to the event in I Samuel where the Lord gave a momentous victory to His people and they erected a monument to His help – a stone named Ebenezer – “hitherto has the LORD helped us” (I Samuel).
In these days of confinement and quarantine, I am reminding myself the Lord is my help, and I need  to look for and note those Ebenezer moments – no matter how small they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment