Sunday, August 12, 2018

Benchmarks of Belief





Benchmarks of Belief
Ephesians 6:17 bids the believer to “take the helmet of salvation.” Obviously, a helmet is a piece of clothing that protects the head. Zodiates says of Salvation, “it is the spiritual and eternal [possession] granted immediately to those who place their faith in Christ” (Key Word Study Bible, 1760). Thus, one of the functions of the helmet of Salvation is the protection of the believer from the attacks of Satan in regard to his or her assurance of Salvation (McArthur Study Bible). Satan longs to defeat each believer, thereby limiting his or her effectiveness in the Lord’s service. He may entice the believer into fleshly pursuits resulting in sin and the loss of testimony. He may simply plant the seeds of doubt regarding one’s standing before the Father, thereby rendering the believer powerless with regard to service. For whom Satan cannot disqualify by misconduct, he will seek to debilitate through doubt. I know, because I have experienced this tactic firsthand.
I John has often been regarded as the "Epistle of Assurance." Tucked within this letter to churches in Asia Minor are ten benchmarks of belief by which one may measure the genuiness of his or her salvation. A benchmark is simply “a standard by which something can be measured or judged” (www.dictionary.com). These benchmarks are provided to help the believer realize his or her assurance of salvation by noting the fruits of salvation that are present within his or her life. They may also serve to convict the one who merely has an empty profession of salvation. I challenge you to check yourself against these benchmarks of belief by asking yourself the following questions.
Benchmark 1: Am I walking in obedience, striving to keep God's commandments? (I John 2:3)
Benchmark 2: Do I love the members of the family of God? (I John2:10, 3:19, 4:7-8)
Benchmark 3: Am I growing in Christ likeness? (I John 2:6)
Benchmark 4: Am I drawn to those things that please God rather than those that satisfy the desires of my old nature? (I John 2:15-17)
Benchmark 5: Do I desire that God’s will be accomplished in and through me? (I John 2:17)
Benchmark 6: Do I practice righteousness? (I John 3:6-7. 5:2)
Benchmark 7: Am I growing in victory over sin? (I John 4:4, 5:4)
Benchmark 8: Am I experiencing answered prayer/ (I John 5:14-15)
Benchmark 9: Do I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God? (I John 2:22)
Benchmark 10: Is there a time when I truly trusted Jesus Christ the Son of God as my Savior? Is my hope of salvation in Christ ALONE? (I John 5:11-13)
How do you measure up to these benchmarks, especially #10?
Please contact me with any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment